Grand Rapids Assault & Battery Lawyers
Personalized Legal Representation
If you have been charged with assault and battery, you need a law firm that can provide you with a focused, vigorous defense. The Grand Rapids assault and battery attorneys at Rodenhouse Law Group can listen to you, investigate your case, and help you navigate the legal system while defending your rights.
Our legal team has 50 years of combined experience defending clients accused of:
- Assault and battery
- Aggravated assault
- Self-defense, defense of another person
- Harassment or threats
- Stalking or kidnapping
- Domestic violence
- Felonious assault
Our qualified, skilled attorneys make themselves available for client questions and proactively inform clients about what to expect when facing an assault and battery charge. We are committed to defending your rights and helping you obtain the best outcome possible.
Call Rodenhouse Law Group at
(616) 344-5066 or
contact us online to
begin formulating a powerful defense.
What is Assault & Battery?
- In Michigan, assault is defined as an attempt to cause physical injury to another person. The charge can also result when an individual threatens to injure another person. In this case, the offender must appear to have the ability to carry out the threat, and it reasonably causes the victim to fear for their safety.
- Battery results when the offense moves from the level of threat/attempt to the actual intentional infliction of violence or force against the victim. In other words, if the offender strikes the victim with their fist or an object and it results in injury, they will face charges of battery.
Assault or battery that does not involve a dangerous weapon is charged as a misdemeanor in most cases. There are some exceptions to this rule, including when the crime is against a household member (domestic violence). If the assault and battery results in serious injuries, the charge will be elevated to aggravated assault and battery. While the charge remains a misdemeanor, the offender will face harsher penalties.
Felony Assault & Battery
There are several scenarios where assault and battery can be charged as a felony, including:
- When the crime is committed with the intent to murder or cause substantial bodily harm
- When the crime was committed with the intent to commit another felony
- When committed against certain victims such as police officers, human services agency employees, and pregnant women
- When committed with a dangerous weapon
What are the Penalties for Assault & Battery?
The penalties for misdemeanor assault and battery depend on whether the offense is considered “simple” or “aggravated:”
- Those who are convicted of simple assault and battery could face up to 93 days in jail and a maximum fine of $500.
- Individuals accused of aggravated assault and battery may face a sentence of up to 1 year in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000.
The punishment for felonious assault and battery varies based on the particular circumstances of the case. For example, assault with intent to maim is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 and a maximum prison term of 10 years. Assault and battery against a pregnant woman carries a fine of up to $7,500 and a maximum prison term of 15 years when the embryo or fetus is harmed. If the offender intended to cause a miscarriage or stillbirth, or willfully disregarded the likelihood that a miscarriage or stillbirth would result, they can be sentenced to life imprisonment.
Call Rodenhouse Law Group at (616) 344-5066 to work with a team of Grand Rapids assault and battery lawyers that take your charges as seriously as you do.
Why Hire the
Your Success Is Our Success
Rodenhouse Law Group?
Recommended by Colleagues & Clients
Over 50 Years of Combined Experience
Aggressive Legal Advocacy
Personalized Approach For Every Client
We understand our clients objectives, and want to exceed their expectations. We strive for excellence.
Recommended by Colleagues & ClientsWe Take a Genuine Interest In Every Case
I have had the best experience using this law firm.- Heather
Over the top work horses at this firm.- John