Grand Rapids Domestic Violence Attorney
Have You Been Accused of Domestic Violence?
If you have been accused of domestic violence, finding the right criminal defense attorney is essential. The skilled legal team at Rodenhouse Law Group can offer you an experienced, passionate defense of your rights. We are committed to compassionately listening to your story and helping you navigate the criminal justice system to obtain the best outcome for your case.
Call (616) 344-5066 today to discuss your case with our Grand Rapids domestic violence lawyers.
What Constitutes Domestic Violence in Michigan?
When most people think about domestic violence, they think of abuse that takes place between 2 spouses. However, domestic violence is more nuanced than that. In Michigan, domestic violence is defined as a pattern of behavior in which one person uses emotional, physical, or sexual abuse against a household member to control them. A household member includes:
- present or former spouses,
- parents of the same child,
- foster parents,
- foster children,
- and other individuals who live or formerly lived in the same household.
What is the Difference Between Domestic Assault & Aggravated Domestic Assault?
In Michigan, there are 2 different levels of domestic violence: Domestic assault and aggravated domestic assault:
- Domestic assault charges can result even when the victim has not been injured.
- Aggravated domestic assault charges arise when the victim has received serious injuries.
What are the Consequences of a Domestic Violence Conviction?
The penalties for domestic violence depend on which level you have been charged with and how many previous convictions you have.
Penalties for domestic assault include:
- 1st conviction: A misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a maximum fine of $500
- 2nd conviction: A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000
- 3rd conviction: A felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000
Penalties for aggravated domestic assault include:
- 1st conviction: A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a maximum fine of $1,000
- 2nd conviction: A felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000
When you are facing domestic abuse charges, there is even more at stake than fines and imprisonment. A conviction will be added to your permanent record and could impact your life in several ways.
A domestic assault conviction can have serious consequences throughout your life, including:
- Negative effects on child custody proceedings
- Adverse effects on property settlement in divorce proceedings
- Stigmatization as a violent person in the criminal justice system
- Loss of the right to own a firearm
To avoid these consequences, it is crucial to hire a legal team that is familiar with Michigan’s domestic violence laws. With aggressive representation, our attorneys can work to improve the outcome in your case. We can present you with a variety of options, ranging from diversionary programs to fighting the charges. After reviewing your case, our lawyers can help you make an informed decision about how to proceed.
Contact Rodenhouse Law Group at (616) 344-5066 to begin working with our experienced domestic violence attorneys in Grand Rapids.
Why Hire the
Your Success Is Our Success
Rodenhouse Law Group?
Recommended by Colleagues & Clients
Over 50 Years of Combined Experience
Aggressive Legal Advocacy
Personalized Approach For Every Client
We understand our clients objectives, and want to exceed their expectations. We strive for excellence.
Recommended by Colleagues & ClientsWe Take a Genuine Interest In Every Case
I have had the best experience using this law firm.- Heather
Over the top work horses at this firm.- John